XBX Mission Trip to Marathon, Florida
On September 4th, Florida Governor Rick Scott declared a state of emergency in preparation for Hurricane Irma. Beginning September 9th, rain and winds that would grow to 130 mph devastated the Florida Keys.
Gabby Moore, the Missions Chair for the FHU Social Club Chi Beta Chi, is coordinating a student-led weekend mission trip to Marathon, Florida for October 26-29. Tim Thompson, the minister for the Marathon church of Christ, has reported to her that the church building and church house where he and his wife Kathy lived have been devastated. Roughly two weeks after the disaster, Tim communicated to us that the Marathon church and community needs all of the laborers they can get.
Here are the details thus far:
- We plan to fly out Thursday evening (Oct 26) at 4:49PM from the Nashville International Airport and arrive at the Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport around 7:59PM.
- Wayne Scott, FHU’s VP of Student Services, is coordinating transportation for us from Fort Lauderdale to Marathon.
- We will start work on Friday and continue through Saturday working under Tim Thompson's direction cleaning, sanitizing, tree trimming, replacing windows, painting, and fixing storm shutters.
- We will be able to sleep in the fellowship hall at the Marathon church of Christ.
- We will worship with the Marathon church of Christ on Sunday morning (Sept 29) and return to Tennessee that evening.
This trip will serve a threefold purpose:
1. To shine the light of Christ to the Marathon community by providing disaster relief (Matthew 5:14-16),
2. To "encourage the fainthearted" and "help the weak" of our brethren (1 Thessalonians 5:11-18),
3. And to broaden our own perspective of and deepen our passion for the church and her needs.
We need your help:
The estimated cost per individual is $300. We currently have 20 students longing to be sent, and the only barrier to our aim is financial.
Here is a rough budget:
- Round trip airfare for one person - approx. $150
- Food, vehicle, materials - approx. $150 (any remaining money will be given to the Marathon church of Christ)
20 (students) x $300 = $6,000
Any amount of financial support possible will be gratefully received. Due to the nature of this campaign, we request that any donations be made as quickly as possible so we can make flight reservations as soon as possible. There are two avenues by which you can support us financially.
2. In Prayer:
Following his plea for Christians to equip themselves with the armor of God, Paul urges Christians to be "praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints." - Ephesians 6:18
Thank you so much for your consideration of our mission. If you have any questions, you can email email@example.com